Ingredients and Instructions:
- 1 cup vegetable shortening, butter, or margarine (butter flavored Crisco works best)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Cream shortening and sugar together. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar. Sift together dry ingredients; blend together into a ball. Wrap in waxed paper and chill 3 hours in refrigerator.
Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to approximately 1/8 inch thick. Cut into shapes. You may re-roll excess dough to use to fullest quantity. Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375o for 5-6 minutes. Cool slightly; remove to rack. Makes about 5 dozen/more-or-less depending on size of shapes.
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- ¼ cup butter
Sift sugar & mix with water and butter to form slightly runny consistency. Add more water if needed. Add 2 drops of food coloring to desired colors. Frost cooled cookies - decorate with candies or colored sprinkles. Let dry thoroughly. Then serve.