3. Ditch the plastic and buy a recylable waterbottle.
4. If you go to the grocery store, use your own bags.
5. Support UpaDowna
Upadowna is a nonprofit that focuses on educating and promoting environmentally conscious adventure for people of all ages. They take groups out on hikes and expeditions throughout Colorado and use environmentally friendly practices and equipment to maintain respect for the environment. To support during this time, you can head to their Facebook page to read the latest on outdoor activities and purchase UpaDowna goods.
6. Pick up trash (with gloves) while walking your dog.
7. Support Colorado Wolf & Wildlife Center
Colorado Wolf & Wildlife Center focuses on educating the public of the importance of wolves, coyotes, and foxes to the eco-system, the importance of preservation and conservation of nature, and aims to provide natural habitats to animals who can no longer live in the wild. To support, you can take a virtual walks with the wolves, donate to feed the wolves and also leave a google review.
The 2020 City Nature Challenge is a world-wide event where cities compete to see who can log the most flora/fauna/fungi entries into a science-based app called, “iNaturalist.” For your nature observations to count for the City Nature Challenge, you’ll need to document what you find and add it to iNaturalist or your city’s chosen platform. All observations you make April 24-27 will count for the CNC!
The basic steps are:
1. Download the iNaturalist app and make an account.
2. Take photos of wild plants and animals to make observations. If you know that what you’re photographing is not wild, mark it as captive/cultivated.
3. Upload your observations to share with the iNaturalist community.
4. Learn more as your finds get identified!
When: April 24-27, 2020 Where: City of Colorado Springs Cost: Free
In combination with the Garden of the Gods Nature and Visitor Center, celebrate the environment at Rock Ledge Ranch on this free day! Historic homes will be open, as well as the Blacksmith Shop and General Store. Bring a picnic and come have a great time while supporting the Ranch!
When: April 18, 2020 Where: Rock Ledge Ranch Cost: Free event
Over 20 sites. Sign up at the Great American Cleanup Pikes Peak Partners website. Pro tip: sign up EARLY to choose the site you most want to visit, as numbers are limited and some sites tend to fill up.
When: May 2, 2020 Where: Location Varies Cost: Free