The Royal Gorge Route Railroad traverses the narrows of the Royal Gorge deep within the granite cliffs that soar more…
Your Guide to Royal Gorge Bridge & Park
More than 900 feet above the Arkansas River, the Royal Gorge Bridge is a wonder to behold.
You'll find the bridge just west of Canon City at the Royal Gorge Bridge & Park. Take a scenic, 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive from Colorado Springs to this must-see attraction.
Step by step, walk the 1,257 wooden planks suspended 956 feet over the Arkansas River. The Royal Gorge Bridge is a wonder to behold and a thrill to cross. You'll find so much to see and do at Royal Gorge Bridge and Park, including a theater, play area, thrill rides and great food. Plan to arrive early and stay most of the day!
This is where bucket-list adventures are checked off!
With the Arkansas River splashing through the gorge 956 feet below the Royal Gorge Bridge, you and your family can enjoy all the park has to offer, including a Via Ferrata course, Royal Rush Skycoaster, Cloudscraper Zip Line, Aerial Gondolas and Tommy Knocker Playland.
In your GPS, use Royal Gorge Bridge & Park for the main entrance of the park: 4218 County Road 3A, Canon City, CO 81212
- The park opens daily at 8:00 a.m. with the rides opening at 10:00 a.m.
- Closing times vary throughout the year
- Jan 1 - Mar 11: 4 PM
- Mar 12 - Apr 30: 5 PM
- May 1 - May 27: 6 PM
- May 28 - Sep 5: 7 PM
- Sep 6 - Sep 30: 6 PM
- Oct 1 - Oct 31: 5 PM
- Nov 1 - Dec 31: 4PM
Climate & Weather
Our altitude is 6,700 feet in an arid region. Keep hydrated and slather on that sunscreen year-round. The park is located in an area called "the banana belt" and is 8-10 degrees warmer than Colorado Springs on any given day. There will always be a breeze in the middle of the bridge and the terrain surrounding the bridge varies, so be sure to bring a jacket and wear sturdy walking shoes. Visiting early in the day is best to avoid afternoon weather. If the park must close early due to weather, refunds are not offered, but you can validate your ticket to return the next day for no additional charge.
- Royal Gorge Bridge - This famous suspension bridge is the highest in America. The wooden planks are 956 feet above the Arkansas River. When you look down, you'll often see people enjoying the thrill of whitewater rafting with one of Colorado's many qualified outfitters. Find the sign with your state's name on it for a photo you'll treasure forever.
- Visitor's Center - Located on the edge of the north rim, the Visitor's Center gives you a great place to view the gorge, shop for souvenirs, get a tasty snack or meal and just relax on the expansive deck.
- Aerial Gondolas - Taking the gondolas across the gorge gives 360-degree views of the park and the Royal Gorge. The tram system is one of the longest single-span gondolas in America. There is no additional fee to ride. Many people take the gondola to the south side and walk across the bridge to get back to the Visitor's Center. This attraction is accessible to wheelchairs that are 30" wide or less. Guests in wheelchairs will need to ride round trip as there is no accessible ramp on the south gondola platform. The gondolas run year-round, weather permitting.
- Royal Rush Skycoaster - Sweep 50 mph through the Rocky Mountain air and over the rim of the gorge. Momentarily dangle 1,200 feet above the Arkansas River before sweeping back. You and up to two more adventurous souls can ride this attraction, weather permitting, for an additional fee. Restrictions apply.
- Cloudscraper Zip Line - Fly through the air on America's Highest Zip Line from the south to the north side of the Royal Gorge. You'll see the bridge to your left and the Aerial Gondolas to your right. After your ride, you have the opportunity to purchase a video of your ride across the world-famous Royal Gorge. This attraction has an additional fee in order to ride. There are some age and weight restrictions.
- Via Ferrata - Schedule your tour ahead of time and get ready for a thrilling adventure as you hike and climb the granite rock walls of the Royal Gorge with trained mountain guides for a controlled mountaineering experience. The Via Ferrata fee includes admission to the park.
- Tommy Knocker Playland - Let your kids let loose in this enclosed, three-story playland. The attraction includes ropes, slides, nets, tunnels, towers and a splash pad. You can sluice for gems, test your skills at the musket mine, and ride the vintage-style carousel. This attraction is seasonal and access is included in a general admission ticket to the park.
- Plaza Theater - Grab a seat and enjoy a mini-documentary about the awe-inspiring history, fun facts, drama and scenery surrounding the park. There are also historical displays featuring artifacts and photos from long ago.
Park Events & Entertainment
The park hosts entertainment, music and special events throughout the year. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, we host a daily educational program on birds of prey. Shows are held at the Plaza Theater and showtimes are: 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 pm. Each October, you can enjoy Halloween fun and trick-or-treating at the Annual Spooktacular Boo at the Bridge. This holiday season, you’ll experience a winter wonderland of Christmas lights as you drive across the bridge and through the park.Visit our events page to see what's taking place during your visit.
Frequently Asked Questions About Royal Gorge Bridge & Park
Is there an admission fee?
Yes, there is a general admission ticket that gets you entry to the park, the Visitor's Center, the Plaza Theater, Tommy Knocker Playland, the bridge and the Aerial Gondolas. The Skycoaster and Zip Line are an additional fee. If you book a Via Ferrata tour, it includes entry into the park.
How many planks are on the bridge?
How long is the bridge?
How many steel cables hold up the bridge?
When was the bridge built?
How long did it take to build?
Just seven months!
Can you get food at Royal Gorge Bridge & Park?
Yes, there are several places to grab hot and cold drinks, snacks and meals. Dine 1,230 feet above the Arkansas River at Café 1230. Or try Bridge View BBQ’s Pork Sammy with a view of the Royal Gorge Bridge. We have several seasonal snack shops and libation stations that are sure to fuel your adventurous spirit in between the awe-inspiring views and adrenaline-pumping rides.
Are dogs allowed in Royal Gorge Bridge & Park?
Yes. Well-behaved, leashed dogs are permitted. Dogs on the gondolas are at the discretion of the ride operator on duty.
What's the difference between a gorge and a canyon?
A gorge is taller than it is wide and a canyon is wider than it is tall.
Where can I purchase tickets for the park, rides and events?
Visit our website to get your tickets
Find the level of adventure that best suits your family, from scenic floats to challenging rapids…Learn More
Welcome to Cañon City, home of the highest suspension bridge in America.Learn More
Create memories of learning, discovering, and having fun with friends and families. Experience science-focused interactive displays, full-scale dinosaur fossil casts…
Royal Gorge Cabins offers luxurious modern cabins and glamping tents one hour from Colorado Springs - just far enough…
We proudly invite you visit our fine winery located in Canon City, Colorado. For the past 20 years, our winery…