We’ve got the ultimate playbook for planning your high-altitude event in Colorado Springs- Olympic City USA.
Sports planners searching for premier facilities to host world-class events can end their pursuit by selecting beautiful Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak region. Olympic City USA is home to approximately 60 national and international sports organizations including more than 20 Olympic NGBs, the U.S. Olympic Committee and Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center.
At 6,035-feet above sea level, the area boasts mild temperatures and 300+ days of sunshine a year. An array of activities and flexible venues mean plenty to do before and after the whistle blows. Set your game plan with these top event tips:
1. ARRIVE EARLY - Coming a few days before getting on the ﬁeld allows some time to acclimate and understand your physical limits at a higher altitude.
2. STAY HYDRATED - Drinking water is even more important at higher elevations. Make sure to have lots of H2O available for everyone during practice, downtime and competition.
3. DRESS IN LAYERS - High altitude destinations offer great year-round weather, but temps can change quickly. Having layers to accommodate varying conditions means you’re ready for anything!
4. PEAK THEIR INTEREST - The Pikes Peak region showcases some of the most beautiful natural venues to host a match. Promote the view to increase interest and attendance for your event
5. RAISE YOUR REDS - Training at a higher altitude than you’re used to stimulates the production of red blood cells, which can result in a performance boost.
6. INVEST IN SPF - When the air is rare, it’s easier to burn. Make sure to slather on that sunscreen. SPF 40+ should do the trick.
7. MOISTURIZE - Arid climates can often mean dry, cracked hands, skin and lips. Pack that travel lip balm and lotion. You’ll be glad you did.
8. FIND YOUR EDGE - Balls fly farther at higher altitudes. Whether a field goal, homer or club swing, it may provide a little extra edge. Be prepared for a few personal records!