Visit Colorado Springs Celebrates National Plan for Vacation Day
After a difficult year, vacation planning and travel inspiration returns
Colorado Springs, Colo. – January 26, 2021 – Today is National Plan for Vacation Day, a day dedicated to encouraging Americans to plan their time off – and it couldn’t have come at a better time.
“Visit Colorado Springs is proud to be celebrating National Plan for Vacation Day,” said Doug Price, President & CEO of Visit COS. “Each year, we hold a staff event to encourage our team to plan their vacation days. This year it’s even more special – we could all use travel inspiration after staying put much of the last year.”
In 2020, many Americans and travelers worldwide had to cancel trips and put their vacation planning on pause due to the pandemic. As travel returns later in 2021, it’s a great time to get inspired by travel once again, start planning for how to use vacation days and take much-needed time off. Even for those taking staycations or smaller road trips, planning those days at the beginning of the year makes it more likely the trip will actually happen.
Previous data from the U.S. Travel Association found that Americans leave 768 million vacation days unused annually. Not only does vacation planning keep calendars more organized, but it’s also a great mental health benefit. Knowing a trip or vacation is on the horizon gives people something exciting to anticipate. 2021 brings the promise of a return to travel; now it’s time to browse Instagram and Pinterest, start reading your favorite travel blog again and get inspired.
For those planning staycations or vacations, Visit COS urges travelers and residents to consider the following itinerary ideas for exploring the Pikes Peak Region:
- Fly in and out of the Colorado Springs Airport, and check out options from Southwest for flights starting March 11, 2021.
- Visit the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Museum, ranked #1 best new attraction in 2020 by USA Today’s 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards.
- Explore the new exhibits and feed the giraffes at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
- Find adventure on one of the region’s many trails and open spaces.
- Stay tuned for booking tickets on The Broadmoor Manitou and Pikes Peak Cog Railway, reopening in May 2021.
- Mark your calendar to grab a donut at the 14,115-foot summit of America’s Mountain at the new Pikes Peak Summit Visitor Center, also opening in May 2021.
- Look out for details on how Olympic City USA will celebrate the Toyko Olympics and Paralympics Opening Ceremonies.
- Check out local festivities for Colorado Springs’ sesquicentennial, or 150-year anniversary, which will be celebrated all year long.
- Explore a stay at new downtown boutique hotel Kinship Landing.
- Keep your eye out for tickets to see the Switchbacks at the new Weidner Field and the Colorado College Tigers at the new Robson Arena, both opening later in 2021.
For more information on National Plan for Vacation Day, go to the Visit COS website.