Colorado College in Colorado Springs was established even before Colorado became a state. It was founded in 1874 as part of General Palmer’s vision for a model western city.
In the early years, that pre-date any of the schools’ permanent buildings, Colorado College in Colorado Springs gathered a small faculty who believed in traditional New England scholarship.
Cutler Hall, the first building, opened in 1880, and the first bachelor’s degrees were awarded two years later. The college expanded under the leadership of the college’s President William F. Slocum, who served from 1888 to 1917. During this time, Colorado College significantly expanded and improved the library’s books and papers. It further achieved its scholarly maturity by attracting leading professors in a variety of disciplines.
Beginning in the mid-1950s, the campus has virtually been rebuilt in its entirety with additional residence halls, a campus center, a new library and science center as well as an impressive array of health, sports and art facilities. Colorado College history lives on in several turn-of-the-century structures that still remain and are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Though the physical side has changed, Colorado College in Colorado Springs remains dedicated to the traditional principles of a liberal arts and sciences education as envisioned by its founders in 1874.
For more information about Colorado College history, please visit the official website.