It’s a Calhan Country Christmas!
The 2nd annual Calhan Country Christmas lights up the El Paso County Fair & Events Center in Calhan, Colorado! Come enjoy the magic of the season.
Gates open at 5 p.m. There is no admission charge, but guests are encouraged to bring one non-perishable food donation per person to support the Eastern Plains Community Pantry.
There is also a Holiday Light Display Competition! (See Complete rules below).
Calhan Country Christmas is a community event and hosted by the El Paso County Fair & Events, Calhan Christmas Parade of Lights and the Town of Calhan with events and entertainment for the entire family.
- 5 p.m.: Gates Open
- 5 p.m.: Reindeer visits courtesy of Anderson Precast and NAPA of Calhan
- 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.: Photo opportunity with Santa
- 5 p.m.: Vendors open
- 5 p.m.: Apache Creek Fiddlers
- 5 p.m.: Live Nativity
- 5 p.m.: Colorado Springs Astronomical Society telescopes (weather permitting)
- 6 p.m.: Strolling Carolers
- 7 p.m.: Parade of Lights (begins and ends at the Fairgrounds)
- 8 p.m.Photo opportunity with Santa
- 8 p.m.: Live music featuring Solid Ground
- 8 p.m.: Bull Riding (Separate ticket purchase is required and seating is limited)
Holiday Light Display Competition~ Sponsored by Mountain View Electric Association
2019 Calhan Country Christmas Holiday Light Display Competition
We’re turning the El Paso County Fair & Events Center into a magical wonderland. Bringing the joy of the holiday season to life with fabulous light displays that bring people from near and far!
Rules & Information
- 1. Participation is open to all.
- 2. Entry is free.
- 3. Contest is for exterior decorations only. No live animals may be used. No fires.
- 4. Displays may be constructed from materials such as wire, wood, metal, plastic, cardboard, etc.
- 5. Electricity is provided by the El Paso County Fair & Events Center- 20amp maximum.
- 6. 20’x50’ Space provided by El Paso County Fair & Events Center upon reservation.
- 7. Entrants must provide their own equipment, tools, and UL approved extension cords.
- 8. Displays will be assigned an entry number.
- 9. Participants agree to have one or more photos and or videos of their display posted on the El Paso
County Fair & Events Center website and Facebook page and that there will be no compensation of
any kind for said posting or publication.
- 10. The El Paso County Fair & Events Center staff will not assist with construction or installation.
- 11. Entries must be completed and ready for judging by Friday, December 14th by 4:00p.m.
- 12. Participants should ensure that all lights, animations and decorations are in place and activated
prior to the judging period and remain on until 10:30p.m.
- 13. Judging will take place at the El Paso County Fair & Events Center at 5:30p.m. on December 14th
- 14. Entries will be judged on attractiveness, creativity, holiday spirit, and overall showmanship.
- 15. The decisions of the judging committee are final. Judges are not able to participate.
- 16. First, Second and Third Places will be awarded in each division.
- 17. Divisions:
- Best Business Display
- Best Youth Group Display
- Best Family Display
- Best Open Display ( Open to all individuals/groups)
- 18. The top three overall division champion displays will be judged for an Overall Best Display and
will be awarded prizes for 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place.
- 19. Winners will be announced at 8:00p.m. in the Whittemore Building and need not be present.
- 20. Displays may be removed from the El Paso County Fair & Events Center beginning Monday,
December 17- Thursday, thru December 20, 2018 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- 21. All displays must be removed from the El Paso County Fair & Events Center no later than
December 28, 2018.
- 22. Be creative, be festive and have fun!