Join UpaDowna as they host the 5th Annual Rock Paper Scissors Tournament benefit Battle of the Brews between New Belgium and Oskar Blues!
Enjoy DJ D-Rock playing beats, savor on beer and food specials, and compete for prizes! Who will come out on top as the best rock rambling, paper punching, scissor slinger? Find out by signing up, or just hang out in the crowd to cheer on your favorite hand ninja!
This competition will be a Battle of the Brews between New Belgium and Oskar Blues! Interested in competing? First, sign up online to represent a team (New Belgium or Oskar Blues). There is a $10 entry fee per person. The fee benefits UpaDowna. Then, show up and show off your mad, hand ninja skillz! Sign-in will begin at 6 p.m. with competition starting at 6:30 p.m. sharp. There will be two brackets of 24 with double elimination.
The Throws: There are three permissible “throws” in RPS: Rock, Paper, and Scissors. Rock crushes scissors, scissors cuts paper, and paper covers rock. There are no exceptions. When two players “shoot” the same throw, it is a stalemate and they must throw again. After three “ties,” players may be subjected to a friendly/fun punishment. The rules/details are as follows:
- Rock can be thrown any way as long as the fist is clenched.
- Scissors is formed with your index finger and middle finger extended and shaped like a “V”. It can be thrown horizontally or vertically.
- Paper is formed by extending all your fingers out. It is always delivered horizontally with palm down.
- The “Pump” consists of closing a fist, holding it out in front of your body with elbow bent at a 45 degree angle, and thrusting it up and down three times. This must be done in sync with the opposing player.
- The “Shoot” is when a player actually delivers the throw. It comes after the first three pumps ie: “one, two three, SHOOT!”
- The delivery of the shoot must be in sync with the opponent. If the shoot or the pump is not in sync at any time, the referee may declare the action dead, or penalize the player at fault. (Penalties have ranged from push-ups to quacking like a chicken and other fun torture!)
- Two out of three wins the match until finals.
- All referees’ calls are final.
Thank you to the sponsors:
- Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group
- Front Range BBQ
- New Belgium Brewing
- Oskar Blues Brewery
Thank you to the celebrity referees: Coba from 103.9 RXP, Jason from Lincoln St. Barbers, and Elizabeth from Elevation Outdoors Magazine!