- 1 lb bread cut into half-inch pieces
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 lb ground spicy Italian sausage
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 large yellow onion chopped finely
- 3 stalks celery chopped finely
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 sprig fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh chopped sage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 eggs lightly whisked
- 2 bunches rainbow chard
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Dry out the bread pieces in the oven (7-10 minutes) and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
3. In a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add the butter, sausage, and crushed red pepper. Break up and cook the sausage until just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the onions, celery, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Sauté the vegetables until they are softened. Deglaze the pan with the wine and reduce by half then add the stock and remove from heat.
5. Temper in the eggs by adding a little of the warm liquid to the eggs first and combine all together with the sausage and bread. Mix well until all the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Wash chard leaves, then blanch in a large pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, just until wilted, about 30 seconds. Transfer with a slotted spoon to ice water to cool and drain in colander.
7. Spread chard leaves on a work surface, trim out the stems and use smaller pieces to patch any holes. You can mix any extra chard scraps into the stuffing. Mound ¼ cup stuffing in center, then gather chard up over filling to form a purse and tie closed with a strip of the stems.
8. Stand purses upright in a shallow baking dish without crowding. Drop pieces of softened butter over the tops and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. Bake for 35-40 min until the stuffing is cooked through. Cut one open on bottom to check.