- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
1. Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl until smooth.
2. Add egg yolks and beat until light.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
4. Add dry ingredients alternately with lemon juice to the creamed mixture. Stir after each addition but do not overmix.
5. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites, poppy seeds and lemon peel.
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins and bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.