Have youaAlways wanted to live out your dream of becoming a cowboy? Take this opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture of the American West. Experience one of the most historic sites in Colorado Springs through a long list of unique events and fun attractions.
Giddy Up, Cowboy!
This Colorado Springs western heritage itinerary will help you plan your cowboy-inspired trip the the Colorado Springs region.
- Fill up on a hot breakfast at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, the second oldest (ca 1874) operating hotel in Colorado, where famed Buffalo Bill Cody once stayed.
- Visit the ProRodeo Hall of Fame & Museum of the American Cowboy and enjoy tributes to cowboys (men and women) participating in the professional sport of rodeo, including live rodeo animals and special exhibits.
- Then head over to the Western Museum of Mining & Industry to experience mining history come to life with the operating steam engines, gold panning, mining equipment and live burros.
- Put on your cowboy hat and head to Academy Riding Stables for their famed tour through Garden of the Gods Park via horseback. Whether an experienced rider or just a beginner, their trained cowboys have the knowledge and skill to ensure an amazing adventure. Find other horseback riding options in the region.
- Grab a bite to eat in Old Colorado City, the first capitol of the Colorado Territory in 1861. Enjoy the refurbished architecture, unique boutiques and dining.
- Finish the day at Ghost Town Museum, where western heritage is truly preserved.
- Depart for Cripple Creek, CO located approximately 45 minutes west of Colorado Springs. Once there, explore several museums and their exhibits which will explain life in the historic mining town where thousand of gold seekers participated in the Gold Rush of 1890 and 1891.
- Catch a ride on the Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad. This steam locomotive takes a four-mile trip through the historic gold mining district.
- Once back at the station, seek out Bennett Avenue and even make a gamble or two in one of the town’s 14 casinos. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for the wild donkey herd that roams the area.
- Depart for a visit to M Lazy C or other nearby authentic dude ranches about an hour away. Once there, jump on a hay ride or sing around the campfire.
Day 4 - 11
- Awake at one of these working cattle ranches to live the life of a real cowboy (or girl). The M Lazy C Ranch is a family owned working Colorado cattle ranch homesteaded just over 100 years old. These real working ranches provide a hands-on, seat in the saddle adventure. The ranches offer as much or as little as guests would like. With horseback riding, cattle drives, ice cream socials and nightly activities, it is a sweet ending for this true taste of the old west. Spend a day or the entire week at one of the dude ranches in the Pikes Peak region and truly experience western heritage at its best.